Saturday, November 26, 2011

Patterns

There's an old Simon and Garfunkle song that says something like, "my life is full of patterns that can scarcely be controlled." I found an old xanga blog and of course this blog, and noticed a definite pattern: not being sure what I should do with my life and dissatisfaction with my current state of affairs. Overall a very whiny, depressed, complaining kind of attitude. I want to get away from that as much as possible. Ed has been saying for awhile now that I should start blogging to get the writing juices flowing (not his words, I'm paraphrasing). I think I need to do it purely for therapeautic value. I found an old entry in which I quoted a former English professor of mine saying that life is hardest in your 20s because of an unavoidable existential obsession. I agree.

It's a lot of the same old, same old in terms of a solution to this problem. What are the ways that I can distract myself from this seemingly pointless line of questioning? The same activities resurface: yoga (to feel more relaxed and less foggy, and either come through it all with breakthrough answers to the questions or simply not care about them any longer), find a hobby, write, observe nature/go camping, travel, study languages, read, reconnect with friends to feel happier and less isolated and realize that yes, everyone is going through the same crisis, volunteer to give back and to realize that I don't have it so bad, etc.

My dog lays snoring in the next room as I type this.

No comments: