Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Degree in Translation

When I first got the idea to go back to school to study Spanish (after I had already graduated with a degree in English), I wanted to study Spanish/English translation.  I realized shortly after beginning the program, that there was no way that I could graduate with a focus in translation within my limited two year time frame and I couldn't financially afford to stay longer.  So, I switched to Spanish with a focus on linguistics figuring that through studying the structure of the Spanish language and learning about aspects of various dialects I would improve my understanding of written and spoken Spanish.  But, I have always wished that I could have studied translation instead. 

I keep coming back to the idea of getting an MA in Translation from Rutgers.  I've always felt that a focus on translation would improve my level of fluency more than anything else by challenging me so much that it would force me to rapidly increase my knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.  I'm not sure that anything will actually do that besides being forced to speak, read, and write it in everyday life in a natural setting like in Spain or a country in Latin America, but it remains how I feel in my gut. 

Now, I have a job at a school where there are students of various levels of fluency in Spanish (speaking, reading, writing).  Since the vast majority of the students are not at native fluency (especially with regards to writing and reading), they realize that learning a language is a process (unlike my coworkers who think that native-like fluency magically occurs after a month or less) and they recognize that there are things that they can learn from me (grammar, spelling, some vocabulary).  So, they do not challenge my knowledge of Spanish.  A few of them have parents that struggle with English language acquisition and various teachers have requested, in the hallway or at random points when they see me in the library, to provide them with interpretation services so that they may communicate with the parents of their students.  I agree to do so only because 1.) I believe that the students will benefit, 2.) I know the language, and 3.) I can't think of any legitimate reason not to besides that I'm not getting paid for it. 

The first time I interpreted for a teacher, I agreed to do so for one teacher and then four teachers showed up expecting me to interpret for all of them.  I found that some of the discipline procedures that they wanted me to explain I could not communicate in Spanish because 1.) I'm not familiar with the discipline procedures for the school yet or what the school will actually carry out vs. what they claim that they will carry out and 2.) I just do not know some of the vocabulary in Spanish.  Also, some of the actions that they wanted me to describe that their student did were 1.) very specific and I couldn't think of how to say them at the time and 2.) they did not pause for me to interpret (or even think of how to interpret them).  The teachers seemed disappointed at my interpretation skills (when it was the first time I've even ever attempted to interpret for someone) and they came off as ungrateful and rude to me.  The parent on the other hand was extremely appreciative and lovely. 

Today, was the second time that I have interpreted and I had a much more positive experience.  The mother of the student is Dominican and I understood almost everything that she said to me (except one sentence, which was directed at me rather than the other teacher and didn't really matter since I was only confused about whether she was talking about herself or her daughter and am pretty sure that I got the gist of it otherwise).  I told the teacher to slow down and she gave me adequate enough pauses that I could interpret for her.  None of the information that she wanted me to intepret was difficult or complicated in any way and neither was the information that the parent wanted me to interpret.  It was a very pleasant experience.  I was cordial to the parent and she was likewise very polite and lovely.  She also thanked me for taking the time to be there and interpret for me.  I felt appreciated and like I was actually helping someone.  I was aiding in the communication process helping two people who would otherwise not be able to communicate with one another discuss a child's progress. It felt energizing.  I felt like, maybe this is what I'm supposed to do with my life.  I actually kind of looked forward to the next time that I would need to interpret for someone.  But, I suppose that a key difference is that this time I was only intepreting for two people (three when I interpreted once for the student) as opposed to five (counting the parent and four teachers).  I also made sure early on to tell the teacher to slow down and pause so that I could interpret what she was saying before I forgot what she had said and she actually adjusted herself and did so (unlike in the other meeting where the teachers spoke whole paragraphs or more of discourse at a time instead of pausing every other sentence).

No comments: